We have recently received reports that a number of suppliers have received a fraudulent email and Purchase Order purporting to be from a university. The intent of the email is to order goods and have them delivered to a specified address not connected to the university.
Please be vigilant in order to prevent fraud.
Here are a few precautions to take:
- Do not accept requests for quotes/goods that do not come from a valid university email address ending in ‘ac.uk’
- Confirm the sender’s identity before replying to email requests and before opening attachments or clicking on links, even if they appear to come from a legitimate source.
- Consult your Information Technology department about any phishing attempts.
- Always call the sender to validate communications even when they appear to originate from a university
- Please circulate this information to any supplier networks you may have.
Photo credit: Stephen Phillips - Hostreviews.co.uk on Unsplash.